I was customizing my email settings for this blog when I ran into a wall. What should be my standard email sign off/signature? This caused way more turmoil than it should have. It is such a simple thing, but it needs to be intentional.
My personal email signature is “Later Be” which is a reference to a friend’s script from back in film school. It is a shortening of “See you later. Be good.” At work, it is my full name, rank, and serial number…I mean title and phone number.
I decided it needed to be something geeky, nerdy, and/or a movie reference while still being something appropriate as an email sign-off. I tried googling for some suggestions and found their lack of quality disturbing.
Here it the list I came up with with the [source of the quote]:
- I’ll be in my bunk [Firefly]
- Have fun storming the castle [Princess Bride]
- To infinity and beyond [Toy Story]
- Never say die [Goonies]
- This Is Ellen Ripley, Last Survivor Of The Nostromo, Signing Off! [Alien]
- Player two has left the game [Shaun of the Dead]
- This concludes our broadcast day [Cable Guy]
- Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club [duh]
- Exit pursued by a bear [Shakespeare – A Winter’s Tale]
- So long and thanks for all the fish [Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy]
I’m not entirely happy with the choices, but I think I will go with “I’ll be in my bunk” until something better comes along. I’m open to suggestions so feel free to make them in the comments section.