Welcome new readers and welcome back regular followers!
Room For Improvement
While I missed December, I’m making up for it by writing this mid-January so, I’m only six or seven weeks behind instead of eight. I blame the holidays for the delay and you should too.
My New Year’s Resolutions
I love goals and lists. Checking off an item on a to-do list is enormously satisfying. A new year provides an excuse to make new goals.
My Big Goals:
- Donate three gallons of platelets (I donated 2.3 gallons in 2018)
- Read 125 books (I read 124 in 2018)
- Beat my record for movies seen in the theater (I saw 58 in 2018)
- Beat my record for blog posts written (I wrote 43 in 2017 and 40 in 2018)
- Beat my record for articles written (I wrote 31 in 2017 and only 5 in 2018)
- Put together a book proposal by the end of the year to shop around to book agents
- Travel to six places either by car or airplane (I only made 5 trips in 2018)
My some of smaller goals include participating in Shakespeare Sunday on Twitter each week, posting at least once a week on Instagram, physically writing correspondence to family and friends, and keeping up on regular chores.
According to Todoist (my favorite to do list application/website) in 2018:
- I completed 3551 tasks (369 more than 2017)
- I was most productive in August
- I get the most done on Sundays
- I’m in their top 1% of their users
New (Non-Geek Related) Blog
My life consists of many, many different parts. While geek/nerd/entertainment endeavors make up a large chunk, I do have other parts I would like to write about in the future. Instead of clogging this blog with non-entertainment stories, I created a new blog.
The new blog will be a bit more haphazard and will be treated more like a personal blog. I intend to write on both equally (see new year’s resolutions above), but keep topics separate.
I needed a name for this blog and decided to go with “A Badly Named Blog.” You can follow it along with this blog. I will also list links to the posts in the monthly recap under “In Case You Missed It.”
Writing For Another Website
I had an unpleasant yet interesting experience recently when an anonymous person used a website to send me animal poop through the mail. I wrote up the details and published it on Medium.com. I’m considering writing two more companion articles to this one about what I learned about the legal ramifications and one about how my co-workers, friends, and family reacted.
In Case You Missed It
- Feed The Bookworm! My 2018 Reading Challenge Results
- My Year in Books (2018): Top 15 Recommendations
- The BBC Must Read Book List: 2018 Status of My Quest
- They Came From 2018! My Movie Watching Guide
Badly Named Blog posts:
- Expectations of a Blog
- Dependent on the Kindness of IT Strangers: My Computer Woes
- My Sleeping Brain Knows The Truth About Aquaman
- Write-O-Rama: Tasting Menu of Writing Classes